Certificate in Chair-based Exercise Instructing
This Skills for Care recognised and Register of Exercise Professionals endorsed (through PD Approval) Chair-based Exercise (CBE) instructor certification equips you with the skills and understanding to lead your own seated exercise classes. You will learn how to plan and deliver chair-based exercise for frailer older adults and disabled adults, incorporating the key principles and values of the adult social care sector. You will learn everything you need to run inclusive exercise sessions which have a real impact on improving the quality of life for older adults and disabled adults.
You will learn the significant physical, mental and social health benefits of chair-based exercise, and how to effectively engage with your participants. You will be taught appropriate exercises to improve aerobic fitness, muscular strength, mobility and flexibility in frailer older adults and disabled adults, and how to adapt them to meet individual needs.
This Chair-based Exercise Instructor course can be completed online in approximately 6-10 hours. Alternatively, if you would prefer face-to-face training we can offer open course or in-house training optoins. Discounts are available on group bookings.
Although there are no formal qualification prerequisites it is recommended that you understand the structure and function of body systems before undertaking this CBE course. If you have not studied this area before, or you need a refresher, you can browse the free resources on the Amac website.
- The values and principles of adult social care
- The importance of diversity in adult social care
- The impact of bodily changes associated with ageing, disability and inactivity
- The health and functional benefits of chair-based exercise for frailer older adults and disabled adults
- How chair-based exercise can help meet the social, emotional and psychological needs of frailer older adults and disabled adults
- Engaging frailer older adults and disabled adults to participate in chair-based exercise
- Special considerations when delivering chair-based exercise
- Current national physical activity guidelines/recommendations for older adults
- How to structure chair-based exercise sessions
- Health screening
- How to plan and prepare for chair-based exercise sessions
- How to manage risk in relation to teaching chair-based exercise sessions
- How to deliver safe and inclusive chair-based exercise sessions
- How to reflect on chair-based exercise sessions
- How to act in the event of adverse effects to a frailer older or disabled adult during chair-based exercise
- 33 chair-based exercises with adaptations and progressions
• Online Course
You can complete your CBE Instructor course online through AllActive’s interactive e-learning platform, Learnstream. You will find explanations, photographs and videos detailing how each component of your chair-based exercise session should be carried out, how each seated exercise should be performed and how to link all this knowledge together. Access will be granted for one year. There is the option to purchase a hard-copy comprehensive training manual to accompany the online course.
• In-house training
If you are interested in a making group booking we can provide the CBE Instructor course as an in-house course and create bespoke training to meet your needs. We can offer discounts on group bookings.
• Face-to-face Open Courses
Upcoming face-to-face open courses are running on the following dates 9.30am to 5.30pm:
Wednesday 29th April 2020 at London South Bank University, London – POSTPONED
Wednesday 20th May 2020 at Amac, Canterbury, Kent – POSTPONED
Wednesday 24th June 2020 at London South Bank University, London
There is information available that can be used to help your organisation make a business case for this AllActive’s course. See Training Business Case for Chair-based Exercise Instructor.
‘This CBE course provided me with an exercise programme which I felt confident to start using the very next day with the older adults I work with. For me, our trainer role-modeled how best to work with people; inclusively, with warmth and humour, safely and knowledgeably. One of the best training courses I’ve been on.’
Hard-copy Training Manual
There is a comprehensive hard-copy training manual available which covers all the content for this course and is a useful reference guide. This is included with all face-to-face training courses and an optional extra for those studying online to buy separately.
If you are studying via the online course, you will undertake an online quiz. Following successful completion of the quiz (reattempts are allowed), you will be able to download your certificate.
If you attend a face-to-face course then certification is through successful participation. Your certificate will be posted to you following attendance.
On completion you will achieve Amac Certificate in Chair-based Exercise Instructing.
- This CBE qualification is recognised by Skills for Care which means it is recognised by the adult care sector
- It is also endorsed by PD Approval for the the Register of Exercise Professionals. (Members of the Register of Exercise Professionals with Level 3 Older Adult can use these points towards their annual CPD requirement)
If you are looking to do other chair-based fitness qualifications in the future, consider the range of add-on courses such as Throwing & Catching Games for Chair-based Exercise. This will enable you to meet the certification pre-requisite for career progression.
- Over 18
Book your place now!
|£||Description||Link to Payment|
|£190+ VAT||Online course||Book Now|
|£25 (inc. UK Delivery)||Chair-based Exercise Instructor
Hard-copy manual to accompany online course
|£220 + VAT||Face-to-face course||Book Now|
|In-house training||Discounts available on Group Bookings||Request a Quote|