Once you have completed your AllActive training to run a chair-based fitness session, you must consider whether you are insured to run these classes. It is absolutely essential that you protect yourself against potentially costly claims that may arise from a third party for personal injury, or damage to property if you are an instructor running classes for either members of the public or your existing clients or care home residents with whom you are already working.

Employed Instructors

If you are already employed and working in a setting where you would be running these classes, then your employer should already have suitable insurance in place. It is advisable however to check with your employer that the insurance extends to include the teaching of chair based classes and if there is any doubt then your employer should check with their insurer. There maybe a small additional charge for extending the existing policy to cover the teaching of the chair based classes but many insurers will make no additional charge.

I find many of the insurance policies for care homes and charities automatically extend to include a number of activities undertaken for the benefits of residents and the teaching of chair based exercises by qualified staff would be generally regarded as one such activity.

Stephen Lee ACII BSc Economics |Chartered Insurance Broker

Self-Employed Instructors
Those instructors looking to work freelance on a self-employed basis will need to make sure that they have adequate insurance in place before starting sessions. AllActive have researched a large range of insurances including the cover and premiums available and recommend Therapist Insurance. They are able to insure our students that have undertaken any of our chair-based Exercise or Seated Recreational Physical Activity qualifications. We recommend the company as their website is aimed specifically at the professional fitness trainer/therapy industries and there is a specific category for chair based exercises. If instructors require cover for just CBE activities then the cost is likely to be £69.50. If they are already Exercise Professionals carrying Personal Training or Fitness Instructing qualifications, then there is a special scheme for which they may qualify which carries a premium of £64.95. These are fantastic rates considering other less specific policies can cost you up to four times as much! Therapist Insurance arrange the cover with Zurich who are a global well respected insurance company.

Their website is easy to use with minimal information required to disclose to get a quote.

1. Visit www.therapistinsurance.co.uk/
2. Enter your details and select ‘Chair-based Exercise Programme’ when selecting the therapy required
3. Get an instant quote and get covered
4. IMPORTANT: You must upload your qualification certificate with 10 days of purchase.